2021 Virtual Junior Showcase – Registration ended!
The Junior Showcase will air on the Contest YouTube Channel on Friday, May 28 at 7 p.m. CDT
The purpose of the virtual Junior Showcase is to encourage young pianists in the exciting spectrum of ragtime and old-time music. We especially seek to provide performance opportunities for young pianists who in past years have been unable to travel to Oxford, Mississippi to participate in the live contest.
- The age limit will be extended thus allowing anyone 18-and-under, on the day of the show’s broadcast, to perform. The Junior Showcase will air on the Contest YouTube Channel on Friday evening, May 28, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. CDT.
- There will be no judging or prizes awarded and NO entry fee.
- We encourage—but do not require—music composed from 1890-1939 as would ordinarily be performed during the live Please provide submissions that would be true to the style of that period (e.g., ragtime, early jazz, blues, stride, novelty, etc.).
- Total video time may not exceed ten minutes, including introductions. You may perform one, two or three pieces. There is no minimum time limit. Please refer to the Video Submission Guidelines for specifics.
- Performers should announce the names of their selections and history they want to include related to the times, composers, and so forth. Each applicant must submit a short biographical sketch (150 words or less). The MC will introduce the performer based on the information in the biography you submit.
- Depending on the number of entries, not all performances may be included in the live broadcast. Those selected will be notified of their inclusion two weeks in advance of the broadcast date.
- The deadline for all video submissions is May 1, 2021.
PARENTAL CONSENT: Contestants in the Junior Division must have their entry confirmed by a parent or guardian by means of a separate email to the Contest Director at email@example.com.
Questions about the rules or repertoire selections? Contact the Contest Coordinator Adam Swanson.